Friday, November 03, 2006

Ubuntu on T43.


I have been using Linux for number for years starting with slackware and moving on to Redhat for a while landing on Debian and its derivative ubuntu.

I have always used Linux on desktops and servers. Its time to use it on my laptops too. I decided to install ubuntu edgy eft ( that's version 6.10 if you are not keeping track of the codename for the releases ) on my T43 couple of days ago. To my pleasant surprise, everything worked out of the box. Well almost everything.

It recognized native resolution of 1400x1050. All the function keys, volume buttons, trackpoint, WiFi card, sound card were recognized out of the box.

ThinkWiki is good resource for all your linux compatibility questions.

I still have to get my Fingerprint Reader and Hard disk's Active Protection System running. Except for APS, I am not very keen on getting Finger Print Reader working.

Overall it look me less than 20 minutes to install Linux on Thinkpad. Thats less than the time I spent configuring Windows XP Profession when I bought my laptop.

So if you are like me, waiting for the right time to install linux on your laptops, thanks to Ubuntu, now is the time.

I am not going to review Ubuntu 6.10 here. Every linux site worth its salt has detailed review along with installation procedure. The only note I would like to add is that you can download Eclipse 3.2 via apt. I am still a emacs guy but its good to know that you are just "sudo apt-get install eclipse" away




No comments: